Looking for a home? Here are 6 simple tips!
This week I thought I would offer some advice to those people looking or starting to look for a home, so here are 6 simple tips. Given that most property prices are rising, there are some simple things that potential buyers can do to help increase their chances of getting that dream house:
- Speak to your bank or a mortgage broker and obtain a pre-approved loan, there are so many complexities to each bank’s loan criteria these days and your own bank may not be the best fit nor tell you that there is a better solution out there.
- Put your best foot forward! Trying to get a bargain today is rare given the demand outstripping supply in the housing market. Bid aggressively if you can!
- Use an odd number in your offer. It's human nature to think round numbers eg $420,000. So try and get ahead of the others with an offer like $421,155, it also shows that you have squeezed out every last dollar and may put you ahead of the ‘round number people’.
- Think outside the square, talk to your network of friends and work colleagues and see if anyone is willing to sell privately to you including your landlord.
- Compromise, look at different locations and houses that may not be perfect for you now. This is the first step on the ladder so doesn’t need to be the perfect house. Maybe look at building as an option which is exempt from the Reserve Bank restrictions.
- Tidy up your finances. Banks like to see tidy account conduct (eg no unauthorised overdraft fees), savings history and permanent employment. If you’re self-employed, have your 31st March 2016 financials ready to go. Apply now for the Housing NZ subsidy pre-approval if you think you may be eligible.
If you are thinking of selling your home, would like an appraisal, or want more information on the Upper Hutt property market please call me on the numbers below or contact me via email firstname.lastname@example.org alternately fill in your details here on my website.
(04) 212 6787
I also have a Facebook page Please “like” www.facebook.com/steveslicker if you would like to be kept up to date on the on the latest real estate news and listings.